Text this colour links to Pages. Text this colour links to Family Trees. Place the mouse over images to see a larger image. Click on paintings to see the painter's Biography Page. Mouse over links for a preview. Move the mouse off the painting or link to close the popup.
Sometime before 1745 James Cecil 6th Earl of Salisbury (age 31) began a relationship with Mary Grave of Baldock. He continued the relationship following his marriage.
Around 1750 James Cecil 6th Earl of Salisbury (age 36) separated from his wife Elizabeth Keet Countess of Salisbury (age 29) and lived with Mary Grave of Baldock for the remaining thirty years of his life at his house Quickswood, Clothall. Some unknown person gave him the eponym "The Wicked Earl" in consequence.
In 1760 Mary Grave of Baldock purchased The Manor House, Baldock and expanded the grounds by buying land through to Clothall Road.
On 19th September 1780 James Cecil 6th Earl of Salisbury (age 66) died. His son James (age 32) succeeded 7th Earl Salisbury. Mary Amelia Hill Marchioness Salisbury (age 30) by marriage Countess Salisbury. Mary Grave of Baldock received over £50,000 in his Will, besides jewellery, silver and furniture. In addition, the Earl bequeathed £43,000 to his seven children by her.
On 2nd December 1789 Mary Grave of Baldock died. The Gentleman's Magazine: "GRAVE. At Baldock, after a lingering illness, Mrs Grave, the well known favourite of the late Lord Salisbury and mother of the late rector[s] of Hatfield and Clothall".
Around 1790 James Cecil 1st Marquess Salisbury (age 41) commissioned the demolition of Quickswood, Clothall following th death of Mary Grave of Baldock.